8.18.2011

The easiest way EVER to make ruffles

I’ve wanted to make something with ruffles for ever, but the methods I had tried were labourious and frustrating.

While on Pinterest (instead of doing what I should have been doing), I found a link to an incredible blog that shows us just how easy it is to make ruffles.

DSCN2405

I used a piece of drop cloth for this example.

Set your stitch length to it’s longest setting, in my case it’s 4

DSCN2401 
Set your tension to it’s lowest setting

DSCN2400

I’m sorry, I only have two hands so couldn’t show you this part, but you just hold the thread where it comes off of the spool. The tighter you hold the thread the tighter the ruffles, the looser you hold the thread the looser the ruffles.

Here it is as I sewed (notice paint on hands? I was multi-tasking lol)

DSCN2402

I also tried it on a wider piece of fabric and it worked just as well.

DSCN2407

If your tension happens to slip, don’t worry, you can move the ruffles along the threads. Just don’t pull too tightly.

I hope that this helps you too. Now I can’t wait to do something with ruffles :)

Sharing at

Transformation Thursday Button

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds great! I've never heard of this and I'm going to try it. I always zig zag over crochet thread and then pull up the gathers. This would eliminate some steps! Thanks for sharing this.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your ruffles! I have been making them out of paper garland for sometime, gotta love ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passing this on to my sister who was just wanting to make some! Hmmm and where are you putting these ruffles?

    Meg

    http://1funkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this! I've been ruffling like crazy since I found it. I used it to jazz up my baby girls birthday party. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.