11.16.2013

Faux fireplace part 1

It feels like forever since I have been able to find time to get any diy done, but I made some time this weekend and got the tough part out of the way.

I have never built anything like this before and while it’s not perfect, I'm pretty impressed with myself.

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

My requirements were to make it big since it is going on a 16’ wall, and it had to be inexpensive. The final measurements are 60” wide, by 55`` high.  I did a lot of research about building with mdf, and was stumped at how I was going to butt joint the uprights to the top. Pocket holes may have worked, but I didn’t want to risk causing the mdf to bulge. Then it dawned on me to create a bracket of sorts, which is what I did. Its just some mdf, glued and nailed in place. Worked like a charm.

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

That was followed by some 4” deep strips to make the box. Once I had the box made, I added more mdf on top of the existing, this time at 1” smaller, to give it some dimension.

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

In order to be sure it doesn’t topple over, I added L brackets before putting the top on. The top is 10” wide, 2 boards stacked one on top of the other, and them some trim to cover up that it’s 2 boards attached together.

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

But it was still missing something, so I decided to add some trim to the legs at the bottom. It provides some visual balance.

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

Of course I had to put some decorative items on it, just to see how it will look :)

Faux Fireplace at Junkin Junky

Part 2 is tomorrow; wood filler, sanding and painting. The opening will be black and the surround will be white. Maybe one day down the road I’ll pick up an electric fireplace to go inside.

It`s so good to get my diy groove back, it`s been way too long. I`ve missed you all.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, looks so much better already.
    A nice replacement for the tv station.
    Love to see the finished fireplace;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome! Great job Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks gorgeous Mel!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Great job!! You know what I've seen done that looks really cute? Blackboard paint inside the opening and chalk fire drawn in.

    Now I want one too... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment love.

Be sure to check to see if you have an email associated with your log in id, otherwise I have no way of responding to your comment.